Types of travellers – identify which one are you?
The idea of travelling can leave anyone feeling exhilarated and pumped up. While on one hand the rich biodiversity of Kerala would excite a wildlife photographer, on the other the same place would also mesmerize a nature lover. The majestic palaces of Udaipur will make for an ideal destination for a luxury traveler. At the same time you might find a functional traveler attending an upscale destination wedding in one of the royal palaces of Udaipur. So the different objectives behind travelling and varying perspectives of places make each traveler fit into unique categories.
Here is a list of ten categories, which type do you belong to?
- THE CONVENTIONAL TOURIST: These types of travellers prefer sticking to popular and widely visited destinations. Thereby subscribing to or having memberships in travel agencies, relying on travel packages and expertise of travel guides to organize trips for them.
Ideal places to visit: Trendy destinations like Ladakh, Kerala, Agra, Jaipur
- THE SPIRITUAL SOULS: These types of travellers Visits to pilgrimage sites and sacred places is central to their trips and indispensable for these deeply religious people. Further they can be subdivided into category of soul searchers. These travelers attempt to derive greater meaning from their trips. They would be found indulging in activities such as meditation, rejuvenation etc.
Ideal places to visit: Pilgrimages like the Chardham yatra ( Yamunotri, Gangotri, Kedarnath and Badrinath, Holy Stupas in Ladakh and many more such sites of religious significance.
- THE UPBEAT BACKPACKERS: Also referred to as the ‘Experimental lot’. These types of travellers would do nothing mundane or usual. Rather they are the ones who are willing to jump into all sorts of adventures like stuntmen. The rule ‘Once in a lifetime experience’ does not apply to these thrill seekers who with unmatched zeal try out adventure sports like skydiving, bungee jumping , paragliding not once, twice but multiple times! They smoothly function on low budgets and don’t hesitate to explore the undiscovered places.
Ideal places to visit: Goa, Spiti valley in Ladakh, Shillong in Meghalaya, Munnar in Kerala, Sunderbans
- THE AFFLUENT TRAVELLERS: These types of travellers as the name suggests, luxury reflects in their trips. From stay in deluxe rooms at 7 star hotels, booking lavish cabs to hiring professional photographers for stylish photo shoots. Don’t be surprised, if you receive expensive chocolates and gilded antique gifts from them. Their destination would be chosen to well suit their tastes.
Ideal places to visit: Udaipur, Jaipur in Rajasthan, Kodaikanal in Tamil Nadu, Darjeeling in West Bengal
- PARTY FANATICS: What truly gratifies this group are endless parties and places that can make for awesome hangouts. You are bound to find these social butterflies at bars, nightclubs, concerts dancing to peppy playlists and enjoying creatively organized theme parties.
Ideal places to visit: Goa; Kasol, Shimla in Himachal Pradesh, Andaman and Nicobar islands
- NATURE ENTHUSIASTS: ‘Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder’ phrase may well define this category. Such people are intrinsically drawn towards picturesque destinations and discovering scenic beauties delights them. Their checklist would comprise of visits to sunrise and sunset points, admiring star studded skies on clear nights on hills and jungle safaris to observe exquisite flora and fauna.
Ideal places to visit: Coorg, Karnataka [famously known as Scotland of India], Khajjiar[ mini Switzerland of India] and seven sisters in the northeast[ Assam, Nagaland, Mizoram etc]
- THE FUNCTIONAL TRAVELLERS: For these Travelers the underlying purpose of a trip is to achieve set objectives, be it attending destination weddings, establishing business relations or doing academic research. Thereby they often lose out on the fun side of travelling.
Ideal places to visit: Depends on their goals!
- THE WEEKEND ESCAPERS: They believe in living the moment to its fullest and are quick to make plans. Their trips may include from frequent outings to nearby places to planned road trips.
Ideal places to visit: Haridwar and Rishikesh in Uttarakhand, Jaisalmer in Rajasthan [Near Delhi], Satara and Mahabaleshwar in Mahrastra [ Near Mumbai]
- THE FAMILY TRIP PLANNERS: For them organizing trips is the ideal way to plan family get together or reunions. Their groups might comprise of diverse relatives ranging from tech savvy, selfie addict generation to older generations who would entertain you with interesting anecdotes and ensure that you relish local quizines.
Ideal places to visit: Shimla and Dharmshala Himachal Pradesh, Kerala
10) THE SOLO WANDERERS: Also popularly referred to as ‘The Solivagant’, these travelers can fall into many other categories like the globetrotter, wildlife photographer, travel journalist etc. They are their own guide when it comes to travelling. The fact that they travel alone does not mean that they are lonely rather they can indulge in enriching social experiences with locals or people of other cultures.
Ideal places to visit: Hampi, Karnataka, Pondicherry, Tamil Nadu; Spiti valley, Ladakh
So did you figure out which category you belong to? Or maybe you can create a separate and new category for yourself altogether?
Written by : Muskaan Narula
Hey everyone, this is Muskaan Narula. I hope you like it. I thank “That Amusing Girl“ for giving me this opportunity. Do leave comments if you like it and I will reply soon.
Also Read : Dear Diary